Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Growing Pains


I'm catching up on season 3 of +Game of Thrones.  Yes, I was under a rock.  Anyway, there was a part that really caught my eye in episode 21.  Khaleesi was searching for an army, and the merchant tried to sell her by slicing a nipple from his soldier’s left peck.  Immediately, this took me back...back into time.  

I remember it was like yesterday.  I was developing quickly into ‘My First Training Bra.’  Learning the troubles of tucking and snapping wasn't a problem.  I don’t recall the mother daughter sit down moment where she explained to me the extremities I would experience developing these Rolling Hills.  I definitely didn't remember the chafing portion of it.  OMG, everyday no matter how much moisturizer and powder I used they were irritating.  Initially, I played it off by rubbing them through my shirt, then my bra, and then it was nails to skin action.  Then it happened.  My once brown pigmentation turned pink. 

I freaked out…”Grandma! Grandma! Grandma!,” running up the stairs,  “They’re gone! They’re gone!”  I shouted.    My grandmother, panicked by my yelling, kind of yells back, “What's gone Nichole?”   By the way, I was the first Nichole, just to let all the other grandkids know...my bad petty moment…lol.   Not knowing how to say nipple without thinking I was cursing.  I struggled for words.   "Grandma, my…ummmm… they're gone."  “Huh child?  Calm down show me what you’re trying to say.”  I lifted up my shirt, and said "See...see...I scratched them off."  My grandma sitting in her rocking chair, doing her best to keep her giggles in, bent in a little further to get a closer look. “Now how did you do this Nichole?  I don't know...I was scratching them.  They won't stop itching. They itch all the time.”  My Grandma chuckles,  “Well, Nichole you're growing, it happens.”  “Now what? Are they going to grow back?!?!” tears forming in my eyes,  “What we going to do?!?!”

My grandmother sits back in her rocking chair, and like +Master Yoda, begins to school me “First of all you have to stop scratching, you understand?”  I nodded my head, embarrassed and responded, “Yes Ma’am.”  Pointing left towards the dresser she continues, “Now grab me that hair spray off the dresser.”   I do as I was told.  “Now, lift up your shirt, she says.”  Then suddenly I hear, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  “There. It has alcohol in it, and should do for now.  Go on downstairs and play, and stop scratching them.” she says sternly. 




Yes, my grandmother sprayed me down with Saved by the Bell's sponsor Aqua Net.  I mean, obviously, as an adult I do realize Band-Aids, cotton balls, and  peroxide were probably better options.  However, two seconds of Shhhh were just as sufficient. I doubt if it was doctor prescribed, but it worked.  I didn't itch for the rest of the day.  I don't know if it was the remedy or me just never wanting for that to happen ever again.  Needless to say they grew back and I formed a whole new appreciation for them.

Until Next Time... +TuneInMiHead 

No comments:

Post a Comment