Thursday, December 20, 2012

Excuse Me Mr. West

Dear Ye,

In 2007 I danced the night away to your song, Flashing Lights.  I was living the high life in fame and glamour, so I thought.  Unfortunately, my concept versus yours is night and day.  Instead of red carpets at the Grammys or photos by TMZ, I have the pleasure of smiling, more like dodging, the Illinois Department of Revenue's photo enforced cameras.I must admit my reckless driving has finally caught up with me. 

Maybe...just maybe...failing my driver's course three times before taking my unforgettable mug shot was a clear sign.  Maybe this is karma?   I can't name every incident nor mention the people I wooed to loan me their car during those times, but what I'm experiencing in my present are the consequences from my past.

For 2013 there will be a New Year resolution added to my list.  No more dents, high insurance rates; or pedestrians on the hood of my car. As much as I love that the City of Chicago has less pot holes in the streets due to my monthly citations, I will have to resign from candidacy as their highest paying client.

I no longer want to be an addict to my terrible driving, so I have taken a vow to the 12 Step Program similar to AA.  Reckless behavior is reckless behavior regardless of how you look at it...drunk or sober...it's all frowned upon.  It's not 12 steps, exactly, but the American Psychological Association has made a summary of it making it 6 steps, still just as effective.


1.       Admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion-Well that was easy...the whole purpose of this blog is admitting that I have a problem.

2.   Recognizing a higher power that can give strength-Dear Heavenly Merciful Father, I know you're busy out there with other severe problems, but I am here thanking you for allowing me to get each person that rides as a passenger in my car to their destination.  I humbly ask thee  to guide, protect, and keep me alert on every highway and bi-way as I continue on each of my journeys regardless of whose car I'm in or how far the distance. 

3.   Examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member)-He's not experienced in driving, unless you count, the numerous games of XBOX and PSP, however; he's been in the car with me the most. My son, Hosea, will definitely keep me in aligned and point out my wrongs…I’m sure of it.


4.   Making amends for these errors-I will apologize, ahead of time, to each person who trusts me behind the wheel of the car.  I will not speed through a yellow light.  I will slowly bring my car to a stop.  No more using my phone while driving...unless I need Google Maps because I will still have no sense of direction. I will invest in glasses.  In addition, I will pay off the remaining tickets from the City of Chicago by the end of 2013.  As for the Illinois Highway Toll possibly 2014 or maybe 2015…does that count anyway?

     5.  Learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior-I will not become annoyed at my sponsor or future passengers when they gasp for air while holding their chest or suddenly become converted to Catholicism as they pray to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  I will respectfully understand that their lives are even more important to them than they are to me.  In addition, I will become more accustomed to having the extra dollars in my pocket...helloooooo "Red Bottoms." 
6.  Helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions- I don't know of anyone who drives similar to me, but willing to offer my suggestions.  Shout out to Jesse White, the Illinois Secretary of State, I am available to discuss future campaigns with my face for the marketing piece.

Mr. West, as much as I want to, I do not hold you accountable for me taking your song literally.  Please continue to spend your millions on the most popular Kardashian chick; and have your face on the cover of magazines.  I, on the other hand, will continue to avoid the paparazzi shots and the orange notification letters with a picture of my car driving thru another red light.



Till next time…stay tuned.


2 comments: